Hello Ohio Chapter ASLA,
Due to the ongoing quarantine of COVID-19, we must postpone the Annual Meeting and Expo and Statehouse Day to TBD date in Fall 2020. The 2020 Ohio Chapter ASLA Board of Directors are working diligently to reschedule these event with venue, speakers, and exhibitors. While we are hard at work planning the day’s events, we wanted to ensure you that your registration will be retroactively applied to the new date and will not be subjected to additional charges should the event registration increase due to unforeseen circumstances. We will provide details on the Annual Meeting and Expo page as they are solidified. Please forward information along to attendees that you may have signed up by proxy.
In the event that the Fall date does not work with your schedule or other unforeseen circumstances occur, we will be offering full refunds for the event. If you would like a refund, please email our treasurer, Kari Hiatt ([email protected]
) and copy Chris Laster ([email protected]
We are also encouraged to have such great sponsors of the Ohio Chapter ASLA who are stepping up to provide members with virtual LACES approved CEU opporunities. Please take a look below and on the Allied Events Section of ohioasla.org HERE
ASLA National is also offering 2 Free to ASLA Member Webinars for a total of 3 LACES/HSW CEUs.
Rebroadcast: Breaking Free from Tropical Hardwoods: New Alternatives for Sustainability - 1.5 PDH (LA CES/HSW)
This webinar is free for all ASLA members.
Wednesday, April 15, 2020
2:00–3:30 pm ET
Join us on April 15 as we discuss how the dependency on tropical hardwoods is unsustainable given current rates of use, ecosystem degradation, and slow renewal rates. Fortunately, there are new alternatives that are durable, beautiful, and renewable. In this rebroadcast, you will learn how to use and work with thermally modified, acetylated, and polymerized woods, fused bamboo lumber, and black locust.
Rebroadcast: Drawing Matters: Exploring the Value of Drawing in Landscape Architecture - 1.5 PDH (LA CES/non-HSW)
This webinar is free for all ASLA members.
Wednesday, April 29, 2020
2:00–3:30 pm ET
Join us on April 29 as we discuss why drawing still matters. Rather than the familiar debate over digital versus hand graphics, this session explores the value of drawing as a process connected to seeing, thinking, and engaging throughout design.
Please feel free to email us at info.ohioasla.org if you have any questions or concerns regarding this postponement. Thank you for your flexibility, patience, and understanding while we navigate these uncertain times.
Stay safe and healthy,
Back to top
COVID-19 RESOURCES FOR ASLA MEMBERS
ASLA Naitonal has pulled together some great resouces and guidelines to help professionals and studetns navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please visit the website below to learn more.
Back to top
PINNACLE LIGHTING GROUP | EXTERIOR LIGHTING COURSE
Pinnacle Lighting Group
Pinnacle Lighting Group is honored to have been approved by the LA CES committee to offer an exterior lighting course for CEU credits.
We are offering a one-hour video conference on the Zoom video conference platform that will cover the following:
Proper Outdoor Lighting Practices
B. V.E./Creating Budgets
C. Streamlining the process of Choosing Product/Specifications
D. Project Management-Installation Services
A. Aesthetically Pleasing
B. Color-Kelvin, Lumens, Lenses & application
C. Energy efficiency, reduce carbon footprint
D. Safety & Security
E. Budget Conscience
F. Offering plans that meet all codes & compliance, such as photometrics and candle-foot, all while giving the customer options.
Back to top
ANOVA | THE MANUFACTURING OF MODERN SITE FURNISHINGS
Still need CEUs? WE got you covered.
We understand this is an unprecedented time and want to continue to wish you good health and safety. Many of us are missing the opportunity to connect and learn at events and seminars this spring.
WE'd like to help give you a chance to continue to meet you learning golas by offering online "social distance" LA CES CEUs, whcih as HSW approved.
This course will cover the manufactureing of Modern Site Furnishings for 1 CEU credit:
The Manufacturing of Modern Site Furnishings
WE are offering two virtual meetings:
Wednesday, April 8th @ 4:00pm CST
Friday, April 10 @ 12:30 PM CST
Facilitated by: David Traphagen
Back to top
UNILOCK | ARCHITECTURAL PAVING SURFACE TECHNOLOGIES AND FINISHES
Back to top
COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL PHYSICAL ACTIVITY PROGRAMS (CSPAP) WEBINAR
CEU Advertisement from Ohio Chapter ASLA Sponsor:
SERVICE SUPPLY LTD. INC.
Thursday, April 16
2:00 - 3:15 p.m. EST
CEUs (HSW): .1 IACET / 1 LU AIA / 1 PDH LA CES
Comprehensive School Physical Activity Programs:
Effective Evidence-Based Practices
and Community Collaborations
Join us on, Thursday, April 16, for a live webinar from presenters and co-authors of the CSPAP book - Russ Carson, PhD, Master Instructor and Collin Webster, PhD. Learn about implementing physical activity opportunities across the school day and school context, that provide support structures for youth to engage in and benefit from a physically active lifestyle.
THURSDAY, APRIL 16TH | 2:00 - 3:15 P.M. (EST)
DON'T MISS OUT...
Providing educational resources is a valuable service to offer to your customers. The webinars are eligible for CEU at no cost to your customer.
DOWNLOAD THE INVITATION TO SHARE OR DIRECT CUSTOMERS TO PLAYCRAFT NEWS!
Back to top
LANDSCAPE FORMS | URBAN LIGHTING & SPACE DESIGN: A LOOK AT DENVER'S 16TH STREET MALL
Back to top
ASLA National: Update
ASLA National News: March 18th, 2020
Click HERE to download the latest news from ASLA National.
Back to top
Position Title: Landscape Architecture Internship
Hourly Pay: $15.00 per hour
The Landscape Architect intern must be enrolled (actively pursuing) or a recent
graduate of an accredited program for landscape architecture. This intern would be
working in our Planning and Natural Resource Management Department which is
responsible for capital improvements, master planning, ecological and habitat
restoration projects, and designing high quality park facilities and amenities
Working knowledge of technical software, Autocad, Adobe Creative Suites,
Trimble Sketchup, Microsoft Office Suite, ARC GIS a plus.
Able to apply landscape architecture concepts to problem solving involving
site design issues
Able to work well in a team environment
Well organized with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
About Geauga Park District
Located approximately 40 miles East of Cleveland, Ohio, Geauga Park District is
comprised of 27 unique parks with over 70 miles of trails and encompass just over
10,000 acres. It is our Mission is to “Preserve, conserve and protect the natural
features of Geauga County and to provide outdoor recreational experiences to our
Resume, Letter of Interest & Application to:
Geauga Park District
ATTN: Human Resources
9160 Robinson Road
Chardon, OH 44024-9148
Apply Online At: www.geaugaparkdsitrict.org
Position Title: Landscape Architect
First Line Report: Planning & Operations Director
Second Line Report: Executive Director
Pay Grade Level: 14
Employee Status: Full-Time
Last Revision Date: March 6, 2021
The Landscape Architect, under the direction of the Planning & Operations Director, is responsible for the identification and implementation of the long-term Strategic Plan and subsequent Annual Plan of Operations for the Planning & Operations Department. This position involves providing individual project assistance in all phases of the design, bidding, and management process for multiple projects along with other duties to be assigned as determined by the Planning & Operations Director. This position is responsible for coordinating, supervising, and managing contractors and MCMP personnel in the implementation of various improvement projects. The Landscape Architect is responsible for completing all assigned duties, tasks, instructions and/or work orders in a safe, efficient, and timely manner. This position is suitable for transitional duty.
Assists the Planning & Operations Department in the development and implementation of the Annual Plan of Operations (APO)...... ..….............70%
- Develop all phases of project design from preliminary to final solutions for various projects
- Performs tasks associated with individual project development including but not limited to: site analysis, conceptual and final design development, cost estimating, construction document preparation, preparation of technical specifications, public bidding, construction administration, field representation, contract administration, and project payroll and prevailing wage management
- Serve as Project Manager on capital improvement projects
- Supervise and coordinate the work of contractors performing construction projects to insure conformity with plans and specifications
- Prepare inspection reports on job progress and work accomplishment
- Develops and conducts all phases of plan development relating to master planning, design development, strategic plan implementation, grant writing, and grant-funded project administration
- Administers outside contracts for all phases of the project design process including but not limited to: professional surveying, geotechnical investigations, wetland delineations, project design, plan and construction document preparations, construction administration, field representation, contract administration
- Assists Planning & Operations Department and other MCMP departments in identifying, estimating, and designing MCMP infrastructure-related rehabilitation, improvement, rehabilitation and restoration projects; coordinates Planning & Operations Department reviews of proposed projects to gain and sustain organizational consensus
- Develops and maintains master file of MCMP projects; maintains database of MCMP properties, facilities, infrastructure and natural resources
- Assists with future capital project planning, scheduling and cost estimating
- Prepares estimates for the Planning & Operations Department budget
Assists the Planning & Operations Department in preparing planning documents, presentations, permitting and standards…....….....................................................................................................................................................25%
- Prepares presentation level graphic plans and supporting documentation utilizing ArcView GIS, AutoCAD, Google Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Programs and all other programs as necessary
- Assists in development, preparation, implementation and updating of facility-driven master plans and strategic plans
- Develops and maintains departmental operating standards for graphic development programs including AutoCAD and ArcView GIS
- May prepare and deliver presentations to the Board of Park Commissioners, public groups, civic organizations, the general public and MCMP staff
- Coordinates and prepares regulatory agency reviews and permitting including but not limited to: ODOT, FHWA, ODNR, OPWC, SWCD, OEPA, USACE, Planning Commissions and other regulatory agencies
- Perform other duties as assigned
Assists the Dept. with the development and implementation of natural resources management duties..…........5%
- Participates in the design and management of projects and activities associated with the protection, conservation and preservation of existing MCMP natural resources and sustainable biodiversity, including but not limited to habitat, wetland & stream restoration projects, invasive species control and wildlife management and ecological biodiversity
- Participates in the field inventory and analysis associated with potential land acquisition activities
Job Functional Priority Percentage Total
Essential Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Must be highly organized, efficient and be able to handle multiple, complex tasks concurrently
- Ability to effectively communicate in verbal, print and electronic formats with peers, MCMP staff, consultants and the general public
- Must be highly skilled in the realm of public speaking, presentations and interaction
- Knowledge of MetroParks rules and regulations, policies and procedures
- Supervisory skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with various disciplines and departments towards a common goal
- Must be able to maintain a continuous positive attitude and professional appearance at all times
- Ability to read, interpret and convey directions and instructions from plans, drawings and specifications
- Ability to maintain detailed and accurate project files
- Ability to maintain Project Expenditure Reports
- Must possess proficient knowledge and technological skills needed to carry out the duties of the position including but not limited to proficiency in the current version of GPS Systems, ArcView GIS, AutoCAD, Google Sketch Up, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and future programs as developed and acquired
- Knowledge of industry trends and techniques pertaining to the fields of Landscape Architecture, Park Planning and Natural Resources
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, Planning, or Civil Engineering related fields
- Must be a registered Landscape Architect or actively working towards licensure
- Minimum of zero to five (0-5) years professional experience in Landscape Architecture or related field
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Ohio Driver's License
Physical Requirements Necessary to Perform Job Functions
- Must be physically able to perform all tasks inherent to the position
- Ability to walk, traverse or otherwise access all MetroParks properties, under all types of conditions and weather
- Ability to stand, sit, bend or stoop for extended periods of time
- Ability to see and hear clearly
- Hand and finger dexterity, ability to use computer keyboard and writing utensils
- Able to travel by car, bus, train, or plane, etc.
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds
The position is required to be available as the situation warrants. Events may require working evenings, weekends, holidays or other times outside of what is considered a normal schedule. Typical periods of work may exceed 40 hours per week.
The duties and responsibilities listed are not set forth for the purpose of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee's normal line of work. Mill Creek MetroParks expressly reserves the right to add to, detract from, modify or eliminate any of the above provisions in its sole discretion.
For more informaiton CLICK HERE