A huge Congrats from the Ohio Chapter of the ASLA to the students of Kent State University and the Ohio State University for graduating and earning your Landscape Architecture degree. We are looking forward to watching you grow as a professional and the impact you will make on the profession!
Back to top
2018 OCASLA Professional + Student Awards | Call For Entries
CALL FOR ENTRIES DUE FRIDAY, JUNE 22ND @ 5PM
SUBMITTALS DUE TO DROPBOX ON FRIDAY, JULY 20TH @ 5PM
PLEASE FILL OUT ENTRY FORM AT THE BOTTOM TO RECEIVE AN ENTRY NUMBER
Past awards juries have valued both large and small scale works that exhibit creativity while solving some of the world's most complex issues. This year's Award Recipients will receive publication in the 2018 Awards Booklet and the OCASLA website.The Awards Booklet will be available at the GALA 2018 which will be held in Cleveland, Ohio in the fall.
For information on last year's winners see the 2017 Awards Booklet!
The OCASLA Awards Program features six juried categories:
- General Design | Constructed
- General Design | Not Constructed
- Planning + Analysis
- Communications + Research
- Students (Must be currently enrolled or recent Spring 2018 graduate)
2018 AWARDS JURY:
The awards program is juried by a diverse group of professionals and local practitioners who will convene on Thursday, August 2nd at The Vue in Columbus, Ohio to review submittals and select the winners. The announcement of winners will be made at the 9th annual GALA 2018 in the fall.
SUBMITTAL INFORMATION (Please read all):
All entries must be purchased and submitted online: There are TWO separate deadlines, you must first register with your entry fee to receive an entry number assignment in order to submit your project by the final deadline.
ENTRY INFORMATION: DEADLINES
--Friday, June 22nd @ 5:00pm | Entry Fee, Entry Form and Number Assignment
--Friday, July 20th @ 5:00pm | Dropbox Upload
REQUIRED SUBMITTAL PROCESS:
1. Entry Fee Payment, Entry Form and Number Assignment:
- Online credit card payment accepted only - Visa and Mastercard accepted.
- Click HERE to submit entry fee, see deadline above.
- Individual payment required for each entry submittal.
- Email entry form to email@example.com, see deadline above.
- OCASLA will send you a separate email with the Dropbox link after receipt of entry fee and entry form.
- Submittal documents (except for the entry form) are NOT required at time of entry fee payment.
2. Dropbox Upload
- See Required Dropbox Upload Checklist below for submittal documents.
- Items must be received by deadline date, no exceptions.
- Any missing information results in disqualification.
- Please send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ENTRY SUBMITTAL UPLOAD
Required Dropbox Checklist (Please read all):
Labeled .ZIP Folder with Submittal Number Label Only (One labeled dropbox folder per entry with assigned Submittal Number including all required images and documents)
Items located within Dropbox Folder:
Descriptive Data Summary Form (Completed and Saved in Microsoft Word format, see download files below)
Concealed Identity Form (Completed and Saved in Microsoft Word format, see download files below)
Plant List Form, Optional (Completed and Saved in Microsoft Word format, see download files below)
Project Image PDF (A multi-page PDF document containing a maximum of (15) pages of drawings and/or photographs shall be uploaded for juror review):
The PDF file shall be numbered sequentially using your assigned Entry Number. For example, if your assigned Entry Number is 100, your PDF pages should be labeled as 100.01 to 100.15. To insure proper presentation sequencing, your PDF file should be saved as your entry number, for example 100.pdf, and placed in a separate folder inside your Dropbox folder titled 'Project Title - Images'
Only PDF files will be accepted, dimensions should be 3300 pixels x 2550 pixels, at 300 pixels per inch (8.5"x11"). Page captions should be properly labeled on the page to correlate with the page names and no more than 40 words per page. Any pages with more than 40 description words per page will result in disqualification, this does not include text on plan graphics or any other graphic text. (See templates available for download below.)
One (1) 36”x 36” PDF Display Graphic (Saved in high resolution 200 ppi (pixels per inch) format. In the event of a winning entry, the graphic will be printed and displayed at GALA 2017 and at the Center for Architecture and Design. The Display Graphic should be a way to explain the project to the public. The display should include a 'Project Identification Label', such as a firm logo with the project name and location, and may also include brief written statements. (Please save the Display Graphic as follows: 'YourProjectName_Display.pdf')
**Communications + Research Category Entrants Only- Unlike the other categories, submissions in the Communications & Research Category may include alternate items. If submitting a booklet or video, a copy of the booklet or video should be included with the entry submission. To the best extent possible (without editing or defacing the communications item) please conceal the identity of the author, publisher, etc., on the item.
All questions should be directed to OCASLA at email@example.com
Text documents should be saved in Microsoft Word format. Templates are available for download below.
The use of powerpoint presentations (unless they are part of the Communications + Research Category) will result in disqualification.
Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by OCASLA. OCASLA will provide proper photography credit when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees.
Please note that the Press Release Form that was required last year is NOT required this year.
$150.00 ASLA Member - Professional Award Registration
$200.00 Non-ASLA Member - Professional Award Registration
$30.00 SCASLA Member - Student Award Registration
$50.00 Non-SCASLA Member - Student Award Registration
Back to top
2018 OCASLA 14TH ANNUAL GOLF OUTING
Join the Ohio Chapter of ASLA for our 14th annual golf outing on Friday, August 17th, at Chapel Hill Golf Course, a Golf Digest's Best Places to Play!!!!
About the Golf Outing
The Annual Golf Outing has become a great philanthropic event and is attended by 60+ Landscape Architects from around the state of Ohio. This is an outstanding opportunity to network and socialize with members of the profession all while benefiting a great program!
We are proud to announce that all proceeds go to the Student Chapter of ASLA at the Knowlton School at The Ohio State University and the Graduate Landscape Architecture Program at the College of Architecture and Environmental Design at Kent State University. The Student Chapters use these valuable funds as a kickstart fundraising event for the upcoming school year. This year's fundraising goal is $2,500 and we need your help!
Not only will a round of golf be used to help reach this year's goal, but a number of sponsorship opportunities have been established as well to assist OCASLA in reaching our goal. Please see the various levels of sponsorship below.
Registration + Driving Range Use - 8:30 - 9:50 am
Shotgun Start - 10:00 am
Golf Participants Package
Each golfer will be provided with:
- 2018 Golf Outing Memorabilia (T-shirt and/or Hat, etc.)
- Unlimited Beverages
- Door Prizes
- 2" Pork Chop Dinner (A Chapel Hill Staple)
- Use of the Driving Range + GPS systems
- Goodie Bag
- A Great Time with Fellow Landscape Architects + Hopefully Great Weather!
Registration Deadline - Friday, August 10th, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Golf Outing Theme
OCASLA + SCASLA (OSU/KSU) are proud to announce this year's theme:
Love the 80s? Are you a hippie child at heart? Well, get ready to show off your innerself and come dressed to impress.
Dress from head to toe in your favorite decade regalia and be handsomely rewarded! Prizes given to the best dressed team and the best dressed individual. Even if you are not interested in prizes, be prepared for that awkward family photo opportunity! Can you picture it now? Why don't you dress and find out for yourself who will win?
Golf Outing Awards
Participating golfers compete in a best ball scramble with the opportunity to win awards for 1st, 2nd and last place. Each individual golfer also has the opportunity to compete for longest putt, longest drive, and closest to the pin.
See more pictures from the 2017 Golf Outing here!
OCASLA Annual Golf Outing A-La-Carte Sponsorships
$350 Hole Competition Sponsor
Meet + Greet Sponsor
Take an opportunity to drive around the course and spend some one-on-one time with each golfer. Have a few samples on hand to display or hand out information on your latest product. Sponsorship includes two 18" x 24" recognition sign boards, one on each side of cart.
Master of Ceremonies Sponsor
Be the dinner Master of Ceremonies and hand out the prizes to each winning golfer while taking the brief opportunity to mention your company. Set up a table with samples or brochures on your product and take the opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with current and potential clients. Sponsorship includes one 18"x24" recognition sign board.
Meet + Greet Sponsor
Greet golfers as they arrive after their first 9 holes and get lunch. Show them samples of your product and your latest brochures. Sponsorship includes one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at the lunch table.
Goodie Bag Sponsor
Be part of the goodie bag experience. Have your product information and any other items which you would like to include within the bag. Sponsorship includes one 18"x24" recognition sign board.
4 Person Team + Hole Sponsor
Put together a team of your choice and gain a recognition sign board at a tee box as well. Sponsorship includes four rounds of golf and one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at a tee box.
Team Photo Sponsor
This year's team photo is designed around the infamous awkward family photo!!! Help supply props to each team as they come through the turn and get their team photo taken. Maybe even photo-bomb a few of them!!! Sponsorship includes one 18"x24" recognition sign board.
Meet + Greet Sign Sponsor
Hang out at one of 18 tee boxes with product samples and brochures. Get creative and spend some time with each golf team as they play the course. Sponsorship includes one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at a tee box.
Be recognized as a supporter of the OCASLA Golf Outing. Sponsorship includes one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at a tee box or green.
*** All sponsorship opportunities are on a first-come-first-served basis.
How to become a sponsor
Simply go to the register now tab below or you may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the sponsorship opportunity you would like to purchase. Act fast as sponsorship opportunities close on Thursday, August 8th, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.!
Looking to golf but don't have a team of 4 golfers to golf with? No problem, we are able to take individuals, as well as two and three golfers. Once you register, we will assign you with either other landscape architects or vendors to complete your team.
If you have any questions please email the us at email@example.com.
$550.00 Dinner - Master of Ceremonies Sponsor
$500.00 Goodie Bag Sponsor
$425.00 4 Person Team + Hole Sponsor
$400.00 Team Photo Sponsor
$300.00 Tee Box - Meet + Greet Sign Sponsor
$250.00 Sign Sponsor
$300.00 Non-Sponsor 4 Person Golf Team
$80.00 Individual Golfer
$40.00 Student Golfer
$0.00 OCASLA Volunteer
$0.00 Student Volunteer
Back to top
2018 OCASLA Fall Educational + Gala | Save The Date
Save the Date for the 2018 OCASLA Fall Educational + Gala held in Cleveland, OH!
When: Friday, October 5th
Where: Aloft Cleveland Downtown
1111 W 10th St
Cleveland, OH 44113
Back to top
Miami Section | Save Local Waters : Rain Garden Workshop
MIAMI SECTION| SAVE LOCAL WATERS : RAIN GARDEN WORKSHOP
June 25, 2018
9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Sanitation District No. 1
1045 Eaton Drive
Ft. Wright , KY 41017
This unique workshop for all Greater Cincinnati landscaping professionals will further their knowledge and skills on rain gardens, helping them offer custom solutions to both their residential & commercial clients.
Back to top
Lakewood Summer Solstice Celebration
LAKEWOOD SUMMER SOLSTICE CELEBRATION
Celebrate the onset of summer and the longest day of the year at Lakewood Park Solstice Steps on Thursday, June 21 @ 6:00 pm.
Back to top
ASLA National: Update
ASLA National News: June 13, 2018
Click HERE to download the latest news from ASLA National.
Back to top
PARKS AND TRAILS DIRECTOR
$85,000 - 110,000
We are seeking a qualified Director of Parks & Trails to plan, manage and grow our Parks & Trails Client Service Group. Projects may include grant coordination and writing, interpretive sign design, multi-use paths and trails, natural open-space restoration and system design, parks and trails master planning and design, park facility programming, regional trail and greenway plans, waterfront park design, and zoological park design. This position will assist principals and the leadership team in building and elevating the Environmental Design Group brand for parks and trails, developing and implementing the group's business plan, and developing and driving employee programs that foster a positive work environment and help develop each employee to their full potential.
As a Director at Environmental Design Group you will:
· Ensure that assigned projects are completed within budget and schedule while meeting client needs, business objectives and design guidelines.
· Establish and oversee implementation of technical protocols.
· Oversee technical and business operations of Service Group.
· Lead associate training and professional development opportunities.
· Develop program and annual budget for regional capital expenditures.
· Ensure technical production complies with applicable laws and standards.
· Monitor progress, provide financial control and ensure the quality of projects.
· Hire, develop and lead all Associates within Service Group.
· Manage service group's financials; develop and grow top-line revenue and financial targets; develop and manage financial model for staffing and resources.
· Guide the development and implementation of the group's business plans; translate overall business strategies to functional area strategies and tactics; successfully convey organizational mission, vision, values, and strategies company- wide.
· Identify project risks and monitor/mitigate risk throughout the project lifecycle.
· Author and implement business development strategies, including client relationship development, client pursuits, new introductions, and revenue procurement for the Group.
· Build and Elevate the Environmental Design Group brand for your Service Group and across all Service Groups in the organization.
· Attend networking events, trade shows and technical conferences for business development purposes.
Education: Bachelors or Master's in Landscape Architecture, Planning, Civil Engineering
Experience: 10-15 years
Supervisory Experience: 7+ years
Licensure: PE, RLA, AICP
Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
Analytical and creative thinking.
Excellent leadership and organizational skills in a team-oriented environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Work hours are typically 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional evening work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
This position will manage technical and professional staff members. Management activities include interviews and hiring decisions, training new staff, performance management, resource allocation and resource forecasting.
EDGE is an integrated team of planners, landscape architects and development consultants. We are project leaders and collaborative partners that balance creativity and functionality to create transformative environments. Our professionals provide innovative design solutions to architects, engineers, corporate clients, private developers, private and non-profit institutions, public agencies and municipalities in markets across the Midwest and South.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, creative, and resourceful marketing professional to join our collaborative team. As Marketing Administrator, you will support EDGE offices in Columbus, Toledo, and Nashville. This position will be based in our Columbus office. The primary responsibilities will be the execution of the company marketing strategy including the management of the company brand through various external communications. In addition, the individual will coordinate all proposal efforts and provide graphic support for marketing and project-related initiatives. Strong written, verbal, and graphic communication skills are a requirement. Experience in the architecture, engineering, and/or construction industry is preferred.
- Assist in writing and editing of content for website, social media, public relations, and project proposals in coordination with Principals and Practice Area Leaders
- Coordinate all social media communication and content in coordination with company Principals and Practice Area Leaders
- Produce proposal responses and statements of qualifications for project opportunities including customized responses and SF330 formats
- Maintain marketing collateral materials including graphic layout and organization
- Communicate and coordinate with consultant teams in response to RFP/RFQ solicitations
- Assist in the preparation of strategic marketing events including trade shows, conferences, and sponsorships
- Provide graphic support for project-related tasks including document/page layout, presentation layout, and photoshop renderings
- College degree in related field
- Strong written, verbal, and graphic communication skills
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite proficiency (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Email your resume to Tedd Hardesty (firstname.lastname@example.org).
EMH&T is currently looking for a Landscape Architect for our Planning and Landscape Architecture studio.
This position will work under senior landscape architects and be responsible to assist in the completion of a wide variety of landscape architectural and planning projects. Our current work includes a mixture of various size public and private projects. Responsibilities will include the preparation of design documents for projects ranging from community parks, streetscapes, master planning, private development projects and municipal projects from conceptual schematic design through to construction document plans. The ideal candidate should be willing to work in an open, multi-disciplinary team environment and be enthusiastic about landscape architecture.
Key Competencies And Capabilities Necessary For Success Include
- Superior document preparation, with an understanding of the landscape architect’s role in a consulting environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet deadlines
- Ability to research project requirements, materials and finishes, and current techniques that promote creative solutions that are environmentally responsible and technically sound
- Proficient hand drawing/rendering skills with strong presentation and communication skills are highly desirable
A successful candidate must have a Bachelor degree in Landscape Architecture, with at least three years of experience. The candidate should have strong Autocad skills, experience in Land F/X, Adobe Creative Suite including Indesign and Photoshop, basic knowledge of 3D rendering software is an asset as well as Google Sketchup and Microsoft Word and Excel.
EMH&T was ranked #1 Engineering Firm in Central Ohio by Columbus Business First Magazine.
For a full description and to learn more about worklife at EMH&T go to http://www.emht.com/careers. To apply, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
EMH&T is an Equal Opportunity Employer.