A huge Congrats from the Ohio Chapter of the ASLA to the students of Kent State University and the Ohio State University for graduating and earning your Landscape Architecture degree. We are looking forward to watching you grow as a professional and the impact you will make on the profession!
Back to top
2018 OCASLA Professional + Student Awards | Call For Entries
CALL FOR ENTRIES DUE FRIDAY, JUNE 22ND @ 5PM
SUBMITTALS DUE TO DROPBOX ON FRIDAY, JULY 20TH @ 5PM
PLEASE FILL OUT ENTRY FORM AT THE BOTTOM TO RECEIVE AN ENTRY NUMBER
Past awards juries have valued both large and small scale works that exhibit creativity while solving some of the world's most complex issues. This year's Award Recipients will receive publication in the 2018 Awards Booklet and the OCASLA website.The Awards Booklet will be available at the GALA 2018 which will be held in Cleveland, Ohio in the fall.
For information on last year's winners see the 2017 Awards Booklet!
The OCASLA Awards Program features six juried categories:
- General Design | Constructed
- General Design | Not Constructed
- Planning + Analysis
- Communications + Research
- Students (Must be currently enrolled or recent Spring 2018 graduate)
2018 AWARDS JURY:
The awards program is juried by a diverse group of professionals and local practitioners who will convene on Thursday, August 2nd at The Vue in Columbus, Ohio to review submittals and select the winners. The announcement of winners will be made at the 9th annual GALA 2018 in the fall.
SUBMITTAL INFORMATION (Please read all):
All entries must be purchased and submitted online: There are TWO separate deadlines, you must first register with your entry fee to receive an entry number assignment in order to submit your project by the final deadline.
ENTRY INFORMATION: DEADLINES
--Friday, June 22nd @ 5:00pm | Entry Fee, Entry Form and Number Assignment
--Friday, July 20th @ 5:00pm | Dropbox Upload
REQUIRED SUBMITTAL PROCESS:
1. Entry Fee Payment, Entry Form and Number Assignment:
- Online credit card payment accepted only - Visa and Mastercard accepted.
- Click HERE to submit entry fee, see deadline above.
- Individual payment required for each entry submittal.
- Email entry form to email@example.com, see deadline above.
- OCASLA will send you a separate email with the Dropbox link after receipt of entry fee and entry form.
- Submittal documents (except for the entry form) are NOT required at time of entry fee payment.
2. Dropbox Upload
- See Required Dropbox Upload Checklist below for submittal documents.
- Items must be received by deadline date, no exceptions.
- Any missing information results in disqualification.
- Please send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ENTRY SUBMITTAL UPLOAD
Required Dropbox Checklist (Please read all):
Labeled .ZIP Folder with Submittal Number Label Only (One labeled dropbox folder per entry with assigned Submittal Number including all required images and documents)
Items located within Dropbox Folder:
Descriptive Data Summary Form (Completed and Saved in Microsoft Word format, see download files below)
Concealed Identity Form (Completed and Saved in Microsoft Word format, see download files below)
Plant List Form, Optional (Completed and Saved in Microsoft Word format, see download files below)
Project Image PDF (A multi-page PDF document containing a maximum of (15) pages of drawings and/or photographs shall be uploaded for juror review):
The PDF file shall be numbered sequentially using your assigned Entry Number. For example, if your assigned Entry Number is 100, your PDF pages should be labeled as 100.01 to 100.15. To insure proper presentation sequencing, your PDF file should be saved as your entry number, for example 100.pdf, and placed in a separate folder inside your Dropbox folder titled 'Project Title - Images'
Only PDF files will be accepted, dimensions should be 3300 pixels x 2550 pixels, at 300 pixels per inch (8.5"x11"). Page captions should be properly labeled on the page to correlate with the page names and no more than 40 words per page. Any pages with more than 40 description words per page will result in disqualification, this does not include text on plan graphics or any other graphic text. (See templates available for download below.)
One (1) 36”x 36” PDF Display Graphic (Saved in high resolution 200 ppi (pixels per inch) format. In the event of a winning entry, the graphic will be printed and displayed at GALA 2017 and at the Center for Architecture and Design. The Display Graphic should be a way to explain the project to the public. The display should include a 'Project Identification Label', such as a firm logo with the project name and location, and may also include brief written statements. (Please save the Display Graphic as follows: 'YourProjectName_Display.pdf')
**Communications + Research Category Entrants Only- Unlike the other categories, submissions in the Communications & Research Category may include alternate items. If submitting a booklet or video, a copy of the booklet or video should be included with the entry submission. To the best extent possible (without editing or defacing the communications item) please conceal the identity of the author, publisher, etc., on the item.
All questions should be directed to OCASLA at email@example.com
Text documents should be saved in Microsoft Word format. Templates are available for download below.
The use of powerpoint presentations (unless they are part of the Communications + Research Category) will result in disqualification.
Entrants are responsible for clearing photographs with photographers for publication and reproduction by OCASLA. OCASLA will provide proper photography credit when using photos, but will not assume responsibility for any copyrights or photography fees.
Please note that the Press Release Form that was required last year is NOT required this year.
$150.00 ASLA Member - Professional Award Registration
$200.00 Non-ASLA Member - Professional Award Registration
$30.00 SCASLA Member - Student Award Registration
$50.00 Non-SCASLA Member - Student Award Registration
Back to top
2018 OCASLA 14TH ANNUAL GOLF OUTING
Join the Ohio Chapter of ASLA for our 14th annual golf outing on Friday, August 17th, at Chapel Hill Golf Course, a Golf Digest's Best Places to Play!!!!
About the Golf Outing
The Annual Golf Outing has become a great philanthropic event and is attended by 60+ Landscape Architects from around the state of Ohio. This is an outstanding opportunity to network and socialize with members of the profession all while benefiting a great program!
We are proud to announce that all proceeds go to the Student Chapter of ASLA at the Knowlton School at The Ohio State University and the Graduate Landscape Architecture Program at the College of Architecture and Environmental Design at Kent State University. The Student Chapters use these valuable funds as a kickstart fundraising event for the upcoming school year. This year's fundraising goal is $2,500 and we need your help!
Not only will a round of golf be used to help reach this year's goal, but a number of sponsorship opportunities have been established as well to assist OCASLA in reaching our goal. Please see the various levels of sponsorship below.
Registration + Driving Range Use - 8:30 - 9:50 am
Shotgun Start - 10:00 am
Golf Participants Package
Each golfer will be provided with:
- 2018 Golf Outing Memorabilia (T-shirt and/or Hat, etc.)
- Unlimited Beverages
- Door Prizes
- 2" Pork Chop Dinner (A Chapel Hill Staple)
- Use of the Driving Range + GPS systems
- Goodie Bag
- A Great Time with Fellow Landscape Architects + Hopefully Great Weather!
Registration Deadline - Friday, August 10th, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Golf Outing Theme
OCASLA + SCASLA (OSU/KSU) are proud to announce this year's theme:
Love the 80s? Are you a hippie child at heart? Well, get ready to show off your innerself and come dressed to impress.
Dress from head to toe in your favorite decade regalia and be handsomely rewarded! Prizes given to the best dressed team and the best dressed individual. Even if you are not interested in prizes, be prepared for that awkward family photo opportunity! Can you picture it now? Why don't you dress and find out for yourself who will win?
Golf Outing Awards
Participating golfers compete in a best ball scramble with the opportunity to win awards for 1st, 2nd and last place. Each individual golfer also has the opportunity to compete for longest putt, longest drive, and closest to the pin.
See more pictures from the 2017 Golf Outing here!
OCASLA Annual Golf Outing A-La-Carte Sponsorships
$350 Hole Competition Sponsor
Meet + Greet Sponsor
Take an opportunity to drive around the course and spend some one-on-one time with each golfer. Have a few samples on hand to display or hand out information on your latest product. Sponsorship includes two 18" x 24" recognition sign boards, one on each side of cart.
Master of Ceremonies Sponsor
Be the dinner Master of Ceremonies and hand out the prizes to each winning golfer while taking the brief opportunity to mention your company. Set up a table with samples or brochures on your product and take the opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with current and potential clients. Sponsorship includes one 18"x24" recognition sign board.
Meet + Greet Sponsor
Greet golfers as they arrive after their first 9 holes and get lunch. Show them samples of your product and your latest brochures. Sponsorship includes one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at the lunch table.
Goodie Bag Sponsor
Be part of the goodie bag experience. Have your product information and any other items which you would like to include within the bag. Sponsorship includes one 18"x24" recognition sign board.
4 Person Team + Hole Sponsor
Put together a team of your choice and gain a recognition sign board at a tee box as well. Sponsorship includes four rounds of golf and one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at a tee box.
Team Photo Sponsor
This year's team photo is designed around the infamous awkward family photo!!! Help supply props to each team as they come through the turn and get their team photo taken. Maybe even photo-bomb a few of them!!! Sponsorship includes one 18"x24" recognition sign board.
Meet + Greet Sign Sponsor
Hang out at one of 18 tee boxes with product samples and brochures. Get creative and spend some time with each golf team as they play the course. Sponsorship includes one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at a tee box.
Be recognized as a supporter of the OCASLA Golf Outing. Sponsorship includes one 18" x 24" recognition sign board at a tee box or green.
*** All sponsorship opportunities are on a first-come-first-served basis.
How to become a sponsor
Simply go to the register now tab below or you may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the sponsorship opportunity you would like to purchase. Act fast as sponsorship opportunities close on Thursday, August 8th, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.!
Looking to golf but don't have a team of 4 golfers to golf with? No problem, we are able to take individuals, as well as two and three golfers. Once you register, we will assign you with either other landscape architects or vendors to complete your team.
If you have any questions please email the us at email@example.com.
$550.00 Dinner - Master of Ceremonies Sponsor
$500.00 Goodie Bag Sponsor
$425.00 4 Person Team + Hole Sponsor
$400.00 Team Photo Sponsor
$300.00 Tee Box - Meet + Greet Sign Sponsor
$250.00 Sign Sponsor
$300.00 Non-Sponsor 4 Person Golf Team
$80.00 Individual Golfer
$40.00 Student Golfer
$0.00 OCASLA Volunteer
$0.00 Student Volunteer
Back to top
2018 OCASLA Fall Educational + Gala | Save The Date
Save the Date for the 2018 OCASLA Fall Educational + Gala held in Cleveland, OH!
When: Friday, October 5th
Where: Aloft Cleveland Downtown
1111 W 10th St
Cleveland, OH 44113
Back to top
Miami Section | Save Local Waters : Rain Garden Workshop
MIAMI SECTION| SAVE LOCAL WATERS : RAIN GARDEN WORKSHOP
June 25, 2018
9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Sanitation District No. 1
1045 Eaton Drive
Ft. Wright , KY 41017
This unique workshop for all Greater Cincinnati landscaping professionals will further their knowledge and skills on rain gardens, helping them offer custom solutions to both their residential & commercial clients.
Back to top
Lakewood Summer Solstice Celebration
LAKEWOOD SUMMER SOLSTICE CELEBRATION
Celebrate the onset of summer and the longest day of the year at Lakewood Park Solstice Steps on Thursday, June 21 @ 6:00 pm.
Back to top
ASLA National: Update
ASLA National News: June 13, 2018
Click HERE to download the latest news from ASLA National.
Back to top
Position Title: Park Planner
First Line Report: Planning Manager
Second Line Report: Director of Planning & Operations
Employee Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Summary: The Park Planner assists the Planning & Operations Department in the identification and implementation of the long term Strategic Plan and subsequent Annual Plan of Operations for the department. Primary duties include providing individual project assistance in all phases of the design process for multiple projects along with other various duties to be assigned as determined by the Planning Manager. This position is suitable for transitional duty.
Assists the Department in the development and implementation of the Annual Plan of Operations (APO).......................................50%
- Performs tasks associated with individual project development including but not limited to; site analysis, conceptual design, grant writing, master planning, design development, cost estimating, construction document preparation, public bidding, construction administration and field representation
- Administers outside contracts for all phases of the project design process including but not limited to; professional surveying, geotechnical investigations, wetland delineations, project design and construction document preparations, construction administration and field representation
- Develops and maintains a data base of MCMP properties, facilities, infrastructure and natural resources.
- Prepares estimates for the Department budget
- Coordinates Department reviews of proposed projects to gain and sustain organizational consensus
Assists the Department in preparing planning documents, presentations, permitting and standards..............................................40%
- Prepares presentation level graphic plans and supporting documentation utilizing ArcView GIS, AutoCAD, Google Sketch Up, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Programs and all other programs as necessary
- Develops and maintains departmental operating standards for graphic development programs including AutoCAD and ArcView GIS
- May prepare and deliver presentations to the Board of Park Commissioners, public groups, civic organizations, the general public and MCMP staff
- Coordinates and prepares required permits and regulatory agency reviews including but not limited to; MSWCD, OEPA, USACE, Board of Health and other regulatory agencies
- Perform other duties as assigned
Assists the Department with the development and implementation of natural resource management duties........................................10%
- Participates in the management of and field related activities associated with the protection, conservation and preservation of existing MCMP natural resources and sustainable biodiversity, including but not limited to habitat, wetland & stream restoration projects, invasive species control and wildlife management and ecological biodiversity
- Participates in the field inventory and analysis associated with potential land acquisition activities
Essential Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Ability to effectively communicate in verbal, print and electronic formats with peers, MCMP staff, consultants and the general public
- Must be highly skilled in the realm of public speaking, presentations and interaction
- Ability to work with various disciplines and departments in a collaborative manner towards a common goal
- Must be able to maintain a continuous positive attitude and professional appearance at all times
- Must be highly organized, efficient and be able to handle multiple, complex tasks concurrently
- Must possess proficient knowledge and technological skills needed to carry out the duties of the position including but not limited to proficiency in the current version of GPS Systems, ArcView GIS, AutoCAD, Google Sketch Up, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and future programs as developed and acquired
- Knowledge of industry trends and techniques pertaining to the fields of Landscape Architecture, Park Planning and Natural Resources
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, Planning or Civil Engineering related fields from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of zero to three (0-3) years professional experience
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Ohio Driver's License
Physical Requirements Necessary to Perform Job Functions
- Ability to walk, traverse or otherwise access all MetroParks properties, under all types of conditions and weather
- Ability to stand, sit, bend or stoop for extended periods of time
- Ability to see and hear clearly
- Hand and finger dexterity, ability to use computer keyboard and writing utencils
- Ability to effectively communicate oral presentations
- Able to travel by car, bus, train, or plane, etc.
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds
The positon is required to be available as the situation warrants. Events may require working evenings, weekends, holidays or other times outside of what is considered a normal schedule. Typical periods of work may exceed 40 hours per week.
The duties and responsibilities listed are not set forth for the purpose of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee's normal line of work. Mill Creek MetroParks expressly reserves the right to add to, detract from, modify or eliminate any of the above provisions in its sole discretion.
Woolpert, Inc. is a cutting-edge national architecture, engineering and geospatial (AEG) firm that delivers value to clients by blending site and architectural design excellence with innovative technology and geospatial applications. Woolpert was recently certified as an Employer of Choice by Great Place To Work®. We believe great companies are built from exceptional people and amazing clients. Because of our growth, we are seeking an experienced Senior Landscape Architectbased in Cincinnati, OH or Dayton, OH.
The Senior Landscape Architect is responsible for profitable sales and growth of Woolpert’s industry-leading Landscape Architect and Urban Design services. The Senior Landscape Architect will lead and facilitate client relationship from inception through construction completion. The Senior Landscape Architect is a “seller-doer” that serves as Principal Consultant and Subject Matter Expert on complex, multiple cross-discipline project teams. The Senior Landscape Architect is involved in developing strategic Master Plans, oversight and provide expertise and critique designs for local governments, park and recreation, higher education and private sector clients.
- Lead the creative design process, initiating design, and providing leadership and quality control through completion of design and construction documents and construction
- Mentor project landscape architects and project managers in design, process, client service and quality management and control.
- Lead establishment of standards for the design process and quality of both design and design documents.
- Support business development activities including supporting Market Leaders, Project Directors and Project Managers with proposal preparation, interview, preparation/presentation and sales calls
- Identify and engage prospective new business leads to inspire imaginative design vision and develop strategic design programs in response to client needs
- Facilitate and engage appropriate cross-functional internal and client stakeholders at various stages throughout the sales and design processes
- Create sales opportunities and serve as the Landscape Architecture Subject Matter Expert/Design Director throughout the sales cycle and/or Request for Proposal (RFP) process
- Participate in scope meetings with clients to construct needs analysis and project definitions
- Lead the compilation, map preparation, and analysis of data on site conditions (such as geographic location; setting and character, community context, vegetation; topographic features; drainage, soils and location of structures) for preparation and development of master plans, site, landscape and hardscape plans
- Ability to work closely with architects and engineers to integrate collaborative design on interdisciplinary projects.
- Provide design and quality control oversite of project team construction observation to verify compliance with design intent and landscape specifications, to approve quality of materials and workmanship, and to advise client and construction team on landscape features.
- Ensure design and technical quality standards are met in accordance with the agreed scope, schedule, and budget
- Support Project Managers in guiding internal and client cross-functional teams
- Collaborate with senior management to create schedules and budgets, and to resolve schedule and budget problems as they arise
- Develop and implement corrective action plans when deviations from budgets and/or schedules are evident
- Accountable for the successful design and delivery of assigned project documents and project implementation
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture and/or Urban Design
- Minimum of 10 years of related work experience creating projects designs, driving the design process, building client loyalty and developing new business and delivery oversight for Master Plan and design projects
- Licensed Landscape Architect is required
- LEED Certification preferred
- Strong hand drawing and illustrative design skills required. Competency in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Sketch Up, Revit, MS Office Suite, ArcGIS, is desired
- Must be able to travel +/-25% to client and project sites
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, matrixed environment
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Strong creative and technical proficiency within design and construction required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative team environment; offer constructive feedback and direction to support goals
- Quickly adapt and respond to industry changes as well as internal initiatives
Leading Innovation and Integrity...
As members of a leading design, geospatial and infrastructure management firm, Woolpert employees inspire each other to be the best through their ingenuity, diversity, and vision. With projects that contribute to the sustainability, security, and efficiency of federal, local and private-sector clients across the U.S. and abroad, our employees appreciate rewarding careers that contribute to advances in the Architectural/Engineering industry while also knowing they’re serving the needs of some of the best communities and organizations around the world.
Presenting Opportunities and Challenges at Every Turn...
As a firm that recognizes the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through our excellent benefits package and competitive salaries.
Our vision: http://woolpert.com/about-us/
|Back to top