2018 ASLA National Advocacy Day
ASLA National Advocacy Day - April 26th in Washington D.C.
OCASLA Executive Committee members met with staff people from Senator Sherrod Brown over coffee to talk about infrastructure. They also met with staff from Senator Rob Portman to discuss conserving our natural resources, as well as Representative Steve Stivers to discuss funding of critical infrastructure programs. This year, we also had the opportunity to include OSU graduating senior Amanda Knight, a past president of SCASLA, as our student representative from Ohio.
They discussed the following federal programs this year in relationship to the president’s proposed budget: Living Shorelines Act, Water Infrastructure Flexibility Act and Environmental Justice Act. 2018 OCASLA Flyer
They also discussed how landscape architects play a critical role in Leading Community Infrastructure Design and Development. Additional information about this can be downloaded HERE.
Images from the day can be seen in the OCASLA Photo Gallery.
Our first stop was at Senator Sherrod Brown's Ohio constituent Coffee. We expressed the importance of Living Shorelines, Green Infrastructure Flexibility and Environmental Justice to him. Mr. Brown has been a big supporter of improving the quality of life in our cities, and preserving and enhancing architectural experiences.
We then met with staff from Senator Rob Portman's office to thank him for co-sponsoring the Water Infrastructure Flexibility Act, providing local communities with more options to implement Green Infrastructure in Ohio's cities. Mr. Portman is a long standing supporter of preserving and enhancing natural resources in our state.
To cap the day, Carmine Russo Jr -Ohio Vice President of Legislative Affairs- was awarded the National Advocacy Leadership Award in recognition of outstanding leadership in advancing the Society's advocacy goals, promoting the landscape architecture profession with policy makers, and motivating fellow chapter members to engage in advocacy.
Back to top
2018 OCASLA ADVOCACY DAY
Ohio Chapter ASLA In-State Advocacy Day - May 16th in Columbus
OCASLA members met with elected officials and staff people from local Senators and Representatives in various districts throughout the state to voice concerns over licensure and de-regulation legislation that has been moving through the General Assembly over the last several months.
Carmine Russo Jr, VP of Legislative Affairs for the chapter kicked-off the legislative briefing by summarizing many of the local efforts that the chapter Executive Committee is taking on behalf of the membership. He also stressed the importance of advocacy, and our continued close relationship with our Ohio Landscape Architects Board.
Eugenia Martin, National VP of Government Affairs at ASLA followed with a briefing on the national issues facing the profession. She also discussed how landscape architects play a critical role in Leading Community Infrastructure Design and Development. She then finished with a discussion on Occupational Licensure in the United States, and the push for de-regulation bills across the country, and how ASLA is making efforts to defend licensure in all 50 states.
Then our guest speaker, Amy M. Kobe, Hon AIA was given the time to speak about better licensure board and chapter relations, stressing how this is critical to fighting the overall push for de-regulation of occupational licensing in the United States. She also spoke at length about the different bills already introduced in the Ohio House and Senate that we should be tracking.
The Ohio Chapter Executive Committee leadership in attendance, presented Amy with an ASLA Service Award for her many years as Executive Director of the Ohio Landscape Architects Board. Amy will be retiring from her board position in June after 14 years of valuable service to our profession. Best wishes Amy!
We closed the briefing session with our OCASLA Lobbyist, Luther Liggett and his session on how to speak to legislators. His years of insight at the Ohio Statehouse has given our membership a strong voice and advocate on our behalf over the past 3+ years. We thank Luther for his continued efforts to our profession.
Images from the day can be seen in the OCASLA Photo Gallery.
Carmine kicks-off the day with a Legislative Briefing
ASLA Service Award presented to Amy M. Kobe, Hon AIA
Attendees prepare for their Legislative Visits in the Statehouse Rotunda
ASLA National VP of Govt Affairs, Eugenia Martin; OCASLA PR Representative, Doug Boyer; and Ohio Chapter President, Ashley Solether; on the Senate Floor!
2018 Legislative Visits Summary
- Senator Bill Coley (R-Liberty Township/Butler)
- Senator Rob McColley (R-Napoleon/Defiance)
- Senator Michael Skindell (D-Lakewood)
- Tim Schaffer (R-Lancaster)
- Rick Perales (R-Beavercreek)
Contact us with comments or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top
2018 OCASLA Annual Meeting + Expo Recap
The OCASLA Annual Meeting and Expo was held Friday, April 20th at COSI in Dowtown Columbus. There was a total of 190 registrants in attendance and 26 vendors!
Our speakers Gina Ford, Kristi Ceramie, Thea Walsh, and Kona Gray were incredible. Earning 6 HSW LACES CEUs has never been so interesting!
A huge thank you to our sponsors and exhibitors for their continued support of the chapter and Annual Meeting and Expo and to all in attendance for making the day such a success!
More photos can be seen here!
Back to top
ASLA National: Update
ASLA National News: May 15, 2018
Click HERE to download the latest news from ASLA National.
Back to top
PARKS AND TRAILS DIRECTOR
$85,000 - 110,000
We are seeking a qualified Director of Parks & Trails to plan, manage and grow our Parks & Trails Client Service Group. Projects may include grant coordination and writing, interpretive sign design, multi-use paths and trails, natural open-space restoration and system design, parks and trails master planning and design, park facility programming, regional trail and greenway plans, waterfront park design, and zoological park design. This position will assist principals and the leadership team in building and elevating the Environmental Design Group brand for parks and trails, developing and implementing the group's business plan, and developing and driving employee programs that foster a positive work environment and help develop each employee to their full potential.
As a Director at Environmental Design Group you will:
· Ensure that assigned projects are completed within budget and schedule while meeting client needs, business objectives and design guidelines.
· Establish and oversee implementation of technical protocols.
· Oversee technical and business operations of Service Group.
· Lead associate training and professional development opportunities.
· Develop program and annual budget for regional capital expenditures.
· Ensure technical production complies with applicable laws and standards.
· Monitor progress, provide financial control and ensure the quality of projects.
· Hire, develop and lead all Associates within Service Group.
· Manage service group's financials; develop and grow top-line revenue and financial targets; develop and manage financial model for staffing and resources.
· Guide the development and implementation of the group's business plans; translate overall business strategies to functional area strategies and tactics; successfully convey organizational mission, vision, values, and strategies company- wide.
· Identify project risks and monitor/mitigate risk throughout the project lifecycle.
· Author and implement business development strategies, including client relationship development, client pursuits, new introductions, and revenue procurement for the Group.
· Build and Elevate the Environmental Design Group brand for your Service Group and across all Service Groups in the organization.
· Attend networking events, trade shows and technical conferences for business development purposes.
Education: Bachelors or Master's in Landscape Architecture, Planning, Civil Engineering
Experience: 10-15 years
Supervisory Experience: 7+ years
Licensure: PE, RLA, AICP
Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
Analytical and creative thinking.
Excellent leadership and organizational skills in a team-oriented environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Work hours are typically 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional evening work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day.
This position will manage technical and professional staff members. Management activities include interviews and hiring decisions, training new staff, performance management, resource allocation and resource forecasting.
EDGE is an integrated team of planners, landscape architects and development consultants. We are project leaders and collaborative partners that balance creativity and functionality to create transformative environments. Our professionals provide innovative design solutions to architects, engineers, corporate clients, private developers, private and non-profit institutions, public agencies and municipalities in markets across the Midwest and South.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, creative, and resourceful marketing professional to join our collaborative team. As Marketing Administrator, you will support EDGE offices in Columbus, Toledo, and Nashville. This position will be based in our Columbus office. The primary responsibilities will be the execution of the company marketing strategy including the management of the company brand through various external communications. In addition, the individual will coordinate all proposal efforts and provide graphic support for marketing and project-related initiatives. Strong written, verbal, and graphic communication skills are a requirement. Experience in the architecture, engineering, and/or construction industry is preferred.
- Assist in writing and editing of content for website, social media, public relations, and project proposals in coordination with Principals and Practice Area Leaders
- Coordinate all social media communication and content in coordination with company Principals and Practice Area Leaders
- Produce proposal responses and statements of qualifications for project opportunities including customized responses and SF330 formats
- Maintain marketing collateral materials including graphic layout and organization
- Communicate and coordinate with consultant teams in response to RFP/RFQ solicitations
- Assist in the preparation of strategic marketing events including trade shows, conferences, and sponsorships
- Provide graphic support for project-related tasks including document/page layout, presentation layout, and photoshop renderings
- College degree in related field
- Strong written, verbal, and graphic communication skills
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite proficiency (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Email your resume to Tedd Hardesty (email@example.com).
EMH&T is currently looking for a Landscape Architect for our Planning and Landscape Architecture studio.
This position will work under senior landscape architects and be responsible to assist in the completion of a wide variety of landscape architectural and planning projects. Our current work includes a mixture of various size public and private projects. Responsibilities will include the preparation of design documents for projects ranging from community parks, streetscapes, master planning, private development projects and municipal projects from conceptual schematic design through to construction document plans. The ideal candidate should be willing to work in an open, multi-disciplinary team environment and be enthusiastic about landscape architecture.
Key Competencies And Capabilities Necessary For Success Include
- Superior document preparation, with an understanding of the landscape architect’s role in a consulting environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet deadlines
- Ability to research project requirements, materials and finishes, and current techniques that promote creative solutions that are environmentally responsible and technically sound
- Proficient hand drawing/rendering skills with strong presentation and communication skills are highly desirable
A successful candidate must have a Bachelor degree in Landscape Architecture, with at least three years of experience. The candidate should have strong Autocad skills, experience in Land F/X, Adobe Creative Suite including Indesign and Photoshop, basic knowledge of 3D rendering software is an asset as well as Google Sketchup and Microsoft Word and Excel.
EMH&T was ranked #1 Engineering Firm in Central Ohio by Columbus Business First Magazine.
For a full description and to learn more about worklife at EMH&T go to http://www.emht.com/careers. To apply, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMH&T is an Equal Opportunity Employer.